Saturday, February 11, 2012

Symphonies and homeworks

After spending a lovely evening at the symphony last night, despite the MORONIC and EVIL woman who kept her phone on during the WHOLE symphony-- even though it went off during the adagio-- and PLAYED on it during the last part of the last movement-- who even DOES that?? Why would you pay the money for a ticket if you're just going to distract yourself and everyone else?? The best parts where when she put her head on her boyfriend's LAP-- he was sitting right next to her-- so that even if they LOOKED ridiculous, they were at least being QUIET....

*clears throat* Um. Where was I? Oh right. The symphony.

So anyway, I saw Beethoven's ninth, and it was wonderful. I've seen it a few other times before, several years ago, but I think it meant more this time. I could actually hear a struggle in the last movement between joy and despair, between the different keys and different themes from the earlier movements, and the brilliance that the choir brings at the end. It's really an amazing piece. I'm glad I went to hear it.

Now it's a day of homework. I have to read a boring book (The Coquette), an interesting book (Ovid's Metamorphoses), a textbook chapter (something about geology), and listen to some music (probably classical). Right now I'm typing up notes while the tv keeps me entertained. People say it's not good to watch tv while you're doing homework, which I mostly agree with, except when I'm doing mindless things like typing up notes. Here is my reasoning:
1. I don't like doing homework.
2. I like watching tv.

In any case, I seem to  be staying on top of things so far this semester, which is a good thing.


Picture of the day:

No comments:

Post a Comment