Monday, April 2, 2012

Some thoughts on the Greek Life update

I've been thinking about making a post like this for a while now, despite my perpetual fear of causing controversy. Most of my previous blog posts have been on "safe" topics, if not "lighter." After the email we got today temporarily suspending several Greek sororities and fraternities, and seeing a bunch of angry posts on facebook in response, I did want to write my thoughts and post them, because for once I find that I really want people to know what I am thinking.

(For anyone wanting to read about what has happened, here is an article in the Trinitonian)

I would like to start by making it clear that I have nothing against Greek Life on principle, and I actually know relatively little about what goes on-- I see posts and pictures on facebook, get emails from the Dean, see ads in LeeRoy about various charity events. One of my best friends at Trinity is heavily involved in her sorority, and I know it means a lot to her. I am glad she has a group of sisters that are there for her, and I've seen them come together during difficult times. I really do think that is so amazing, and I would never want to take something like that away.

However. Dean Tuttle wrote in his email:

"Some of the issues considered involved hazing, alcohol use and abuse, sexually exploitative behavior, sexual harassment, coercive behavior, and threats..."

"Hazing" can mean a lot of things, and so while I assume he wouldn't take such drastic measures for a relatively minor incident, I can put this aside for now, as someone who has no clue what, exactly, that entails. Alcohol use and abuse-- again, while it may have been more than normal (hence "abuse"), I will ignore this. The rest of the issues are unacceptable, and I have trouble seeing why people would defend themselves against this. This is not to say that I think every member of the accused Greek Life has participated in this-- I would actually like to make it clear that I do not think that is the case. But if something like this was going on in any organization I belonged to, I would want to spend a significant amount of time trying to figure out what has been going on, and what my group stands for, instead of simply arguing against the accusations. If there is ONE shred of doubt that their organization has not been responsible in any way for sexually harassing a member, or threatening them, then they need to work to try and fix that. I do not blame a whole organization for the acts of a few people, but if anyone who did not actively participate in the events described in the Dean's email are ignoring this issue in their attempt to exonerate themselves, then I do blame them for that.

Here is where I see it as being a big deal:

The victims of the actions above, as well as the people who reported them-- what are they going through right now? What did they go through that made them feel as though they had to report it? I have great difficulty seeing someone report events unless they felt so uncomfortable in their environment that they had no other choice, and that is a problem. The line in Dean Tuttle's email that made me angry was this:

"Retaliation against any individual involved in the investigation is strictly prohibited and will result in a doubling of the sanctions imposed upon the group involved."

If someone is so upset and so uncomfortable that they felt as though they had to report something, knowing the position they were putting themselves into, how are they feeling now? And we have to get an email ordering us not to retaliate against them? We are in college, not middle school. These are supposed to be the best years of our lives, not the worst. And yet someone is being punished for doing something that they saw was either right or necessary for their own health, physical or mental.

AND-- after all that-- the issue that everybody seems to be furious about is the suspension of recognition? If these events are as heinous as they sound, as the rumors have hinted, then I'm sorry: I know these fraternities and sororities mean a whole lot to the people in them, and I know it's unfair to punish a group for the actions of certain people. But what makes me more upset is the treatment that it sounds like some of these people went through, which is now being placed second, in the minds of some students, to the re-recognition of various Greek Life groups.

I have to say-- my heart goes out to the people who have been hurt in this far more than for the groups that got hurt. Despite suspending recognition, the sisters and brothers are still sisters and brothers-- nothing changes that. But if Dean Tuttle is actually genuinely concerned about "retaliation" towards certain individuals over their discomfort with certain practices, then I genuinely hope they too have brothers and sisters that will be there for them.

7 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree. I heard someone say that the person who reported it was basically looking for attention (not the exact phrase they used, but that's what it implied). If that's the case, and someone reported something for no reason - then why did the university decide to punish several groups? (And, at least one group was exonerated from "lack of evidence," so obviously there was something indicating truth behind what happened).

    In a way, this really makes me ashamed of how things are run at Trinity - and also more aware about their policies regarding sexual assault. (Did you know they don't necessarily report incidences of sexual assault to the police? I found that out today - and I always thought it was illegal not to report it).

    Normally I just kind of roll my eyes about Greek groups "getting in trouble." This seriously pisses me off. Not only did they do something so serious that it warranted multiple organizations getting kicked off campus, but members of those same organizations are trying to say "we don't deserve this." Maybe it was the actions of only a few individuals, but if they did it representing the group, and if it really did escalate to this level, then SOMEONE should have done something.
    If I found out that Mu Phi was under review for something like this, I would be ashamed not proud .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly-- it seems as though pride for organizations is coming through more than compassion for other people. Maybe I'm exaggerating it-- all I know is that I have not seen a single post from ANY of the groups acknowledging that they have done anything wrong, or apologizing to whoever they hurt, or saying that whatever happened was wrong, but it should not reflect on the values of their organization. All I see is defensive posts about how they were wronged, or sad posts about their punishment. I know it must be difficult, but I am still incredulous at the fact that NOBODY has acknowledged that people were HURT.

      Delete
  2. As a Greek alumni, but more importantly a Trinity alumni, and even more importantly a friend of someone involved on the right side of this issue, I have to say thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion and for voicing such a well stated and thoroughly thought out opinion. The bigger issue really is that so many people seem ok with what has apparently been going on and more concerned about their own reputations. I don't understand how anyone could be a member, particularly a proud member of an organization that treats its own so poorly. Trinity has overlooked rumors of Greek hazing activity for too long, and I am glad something this drastic has been done. Hopefully this will be a slap in the face of human accountability for some individuals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for responding to this. I really do think Greek Life enhances the lives of Trinity students so much, and it must be so devastating to have it taken away, especially for the people who weren't involved in the issues described. However, as you said, I wish I could see people tier the issues a little differently. I know it must be difficult for them now, I just wish they were paying more attention to the fact that people seem to have actually gotten hurt because of this.

      Delete
  3. I think what some people are missing is that Dean Tuttle is trying to protect his students as well as anyone who is trying to investigate the situation. The loss of recognition of the groups is to prevent things like this from happening again (not saying it definitely will, but it's a big wake up call for them at least). The part about retaliation being strictly prohibited is probably to protect those who are trying to get to the bottom of the situation, whether that's students or tupd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just think about the amount of anger that some students have towards those who either turned them in or are involved with their group being investigated. Dean Tuttle is only trying to protect those people from being retaliated against for turning them in. I really think that overall, he wants what's best for the overall safety of everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina, I agree with you-- I'm not trying to say that I am upset with him for writing that sentence; I'm only angry at the fact that the sentence had to be written (and I agree that it *did* have to be written, from what I've heard). I understand that there may be some anger towards those people, but I think it's sad that we actually have to be concerned about "retaliation" towards people who were only doing what they thought was necessary to get them out of an uncomfortable or even abusive situation. I am upset at any students who hinted in any way, actively or accidentally, that there *would* be retaliation, putting whoever reported them in an even worse position.

      I do agree that including that sentence was almost necessary, but I am still angry that it actually has to be included in an email to college students who are supposed to be above this.

      Delete