Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How This Weather Utterly Destroyed Everybody's Life

So I woke up this morning at seven forty five after hearing reports yesterday of the rapidly dropping temperature. I rummaged around my closet for the freezing weather clothes that I didn't have, and left for my eight thirty Old Testament class, stopping only to get my new favorite morning drink: a caramel macchiato with an extra shot of espresso.

But I never got to finish that drink. During my professor's lecture, there was a huge explosion, and all the power on campus went out forever. Several students screamed, and our professor searched desperately for something to start a fire with, but there was nothing. No lighter, no flint, nothing. Not even pieces of wood to rub together. Some students immediately fell into shock and were paralyzed in their seats, but the rest ran out of the room in a stampede that destroyed every single desk. In all of the chaos, my caramel macchiato got tipped over, and the coffee spilled out. I would have cried, but survival mode kicked in, and I realized that if I cried, the tears would freeze on my face, and I would be wasting water. I got up and left the room, heading straight for the music building. I could set up camp there.

The journey from the religion building to the music building was the worst five minutes of my entire life. I began to imagine myself in this post-apocalyptic world like in SM Stirling novels, or McCarthy's The Road (which I'd just recently read), and realized that those people were really lucky because even though they were starving and had no power and were freezing to death, they had jackets and boots. I would have been able to write an excellent novel of my travels from building to building, aimlessly wandering (sans winter clothes) on a journey that would have put Frodo's trek up Mount Doom to shame. I couldn't even check emails because there was no power, so I had absolutely no idea of whether or not classes were cancelled.

The music building was deserted. There were a few people hanging out in the music lounge, but that was it. They had started a small campfire in the middle of the lounge, and were pulling out various packaged foods, as well as weapons for the more-than-likely attacks that would start from the other buildings. One student pulled out a bow-and-arrow from his backpack, and another had a collection of knives and daggers slung over his back. I hid out with them for several days, foraging for food during the day, and keeping watch at night, in the electricity-less campus that had become my prison, gathering the energy that I would need so I could make the daunting quest back to my dorm. I traded three precious cans of baked beans that I had gathered for a spear in order to protect myself from potential zombie attack on the way back. On the eighth morning, I left the building.

Finally, I got back to the dorm, after several weeks, fingers falling off from frostbite (I'm typing this with my toes right now), and with three broken legs because of all the times I'd slipped and fallen on the ice that covered the entire campus. I swear all of what I have said is true. Actually, I'm sending this message out to see if there is anyone left in Texas-- anyone left in the entire world-- who can read this and send help. We need rations, clothes, weapons, anti-zombie medicine, and moral support. There aren't many of us left here at Trinity, and we can only pray that this ice age ends soon. It has to end if we are to survive.

Also, I can't sign this in case there are spies.

4 comments:

  1. I've never seen you use this style of writing. I grinned all the way through. Better than chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minnesota is sending a supply of mukluks and balaclavas. The balaclavas do double duty as ninja outfits for fighting zombies.



    hilarious stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oxford and snow had a one-night stand. I got to enjoy it because people are dumb and therefore think 2 am fire alarm pulls are HI-larious. It is difficult to appreciate the beauty of falling snow when it is falling inside your shoes.
    Stay strong, comrade.

    ReplyDelete