Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hannah and Vicki

So I made a promise to my suitemate a few weeks ago that I would write a blog post all about her one day, and then a similar promise to my roommate a few weeks after that, so here is a blog about both of them.

Vicki is my Latina, math-major, cheerleader suitemate. She can say lots of Spanish words like "hola" and "como estas" and she likes queso. She is also a grader for her math class, and I like listening to her talk about how much she enjoys grading, because I feel like it is preparing me for the teaching world. She especially likes it when she can't read the students' handwriting, or their answers make no sense whatsoever and she has to decipher what they were doing. She also really enjoys astronomy lab, a class that we take together, and we can always point out Jupiter in the sky, and measure where it is against the stars Fomalhaut and Algenib, which is a useful skill. You can use it to impress people at parties, as our astronomy professor says. The best part of our day, however, is when we come back to the dorm after all of our classes and watch Criminal Minds in the evening. Also, I never know how to spell her name. Sometimes it's Viki, or Vicky, or Victoria.

Hannah is my roommate. She likes food, purple, and Winnie the Pooh. We have movie nights together where we introduce each other to our favorite movies: I got to see American Beauty (starring Kevin Spacey and winner of five Academy Awards) and Life is Beautiful (an Italian WWII movie, winner of three Academy Awards including Best Foreign Film) during two of our movie nights. She also likes very spicy food that I can't eat. We also like lots of similar music, like oldies, classic rock, and the soundtrack to Amelie. Sometimes we make up stories to tell each other before we go to sleep at night. The rules are that one of us chooses the protagonist (name and species) of the story, and the other one has to tell the story. The two most memorable stories have involved a mushroom named Harold and an earplug named Murray. And we both like Bruce Willis and think he's very manly.

Sometimes, we hang out together, all three of us. After Criminal Minds is over at midnight, there are lots of infomercials on tv and last night, the people on the programming were selling cds of music by people like Carol King, Elton John, The Mamas and the Papas, and James Taylor (and other artists like that), and we spent a good half hour singing along to the clips of songs that played. It made me very happy.

Memories of things that are silly like that make me happy in general. I was talking with Hannah last night about this last night, that some random events make me feel happy, and feel like even if everything goes wrong, I still have great friends who are there to support me. I like staying up late and talking about silly things!  Everyone should go out and do fun things with their friends like sing along to infomercials or make up stories or measure stars and planets. It gives you a good feeling.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog.What movies have you introduced to Victoria?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Vicki can't sit through a movie without falling asleep, but I've made Hannah watch Chocolat and Les Choristes (as well as Harry Potter 7, if that counts), and I think she enjoyed both of them!! And Rilla, I highly recommend Les Choristes if you ever get the chance-- it's a great movie and it's very happy!

    ReplyDelete