Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ollie's New Look

"I found a car tipped over in the jungle... And we could totally fix it and get it going again. Why? Because it'll be fun." -Hurley, Lost



                                                                      This is Ollie:

                                            

                                   

                                                            This is Ollie's new look:

                                                     
Ollie is my baby tiger. His real name is Olvar, which means "plants" in Elvish. He has an older brother named Kel (short for "Kelvar" which means "animals" in Elvish), but Kel is missing at the moment, and we can't find him. Ollie misses Kel a lot, so today I thought I'd make him a jersey so that he would get his mind off of Kel for a little bit. He seems to really have taken to it.  The mess in the second picture is from all the sewing, ironing, and fabric-shaping that went on this afternoon, in the process of making his jersey.

We wore our jerseys together for the Mu Phi Epsilon meeting tonight, and I thought we made a pretty good pair:




When you feel as if a lot has happened to you, and it's very overwhelming (like if you have an older brother named Kel who's a tiger that you can't find at the moment), you look for very little things that make you happy, and you will find them.  Like sewing a jersey for a stuffed animal. That took me most of the afternoon, and guess what? I enjoyed it. I felt guilty about enjoying it-- for a moment, I had a sudden horrible thought that I wasn't allowed to enjoy things while going through a difficult time. But I really am. That's ok. It's a good thing.

I can enjoy staying up late and talking with friends even though I have a paper due the next morning. I can enjoy learning a new piece on the piano even if it's the most largo piece I've ever heard. It's still beautiful. I can enjoy watching the Tyra show after classes even if it's trash tv. And when I got my suitemate to drive me to Borders on Monday only to find that the book I was looking for was out of stock and it would take six weeks to order? We simply drove to Whole Foods and got lots of expensive cheese instead. Our trip was going to be successful, dammit. And we enjoyed it!

It's much easier to look ahead if you don't look too far ahead. Just keep thinking of the next minute, the next hour. They will turn into days, weeks, months, years on their own. You don't have to worry about that. Just keep going minute by minute, and keep finding the little things that make you smile, and the rest will happen without your worrying.

When I stepped out the door this morning wearing my jersey, my suitemate commented that Ollie (nestled in a side-pocket of my backpack) needed a jersey to match mine, and he was so excited for the rest of the day about that idea that I just couldn't let him down. So I came back after my classes and made him a Mu Phi jersey after watching Tyra. And my thumb was bleeding from the needle, and there were pieces of fabric and thread all over the room, and the water had spilled all over the carpet from the leaking iron.

And Ollie and I were both pleased.

We won today.

No comments:

Post a Comment