Sunday, July 15, 2012

Elegy for my Phone


You were a good phone;
You were not perfect,
But you were mine.

You sometimes froze
Or I could not unlock you,
And you had scrapes on your corners
From all the times I dropped you.

Sometimes you would accidentally call people
Or send nonsensical texts from inside my purse
Even though you had a touchpad--
I thought that was so silly.

But you were my phone. 

You knew my entire internet history,
You knew that I had a Pokedex on my phone,
Knew the songs I listened to, 
And which ones I liked the most.

You knew that I loved Mahler
And the soundtrack to Kingdom Hearts,
And that I had a separate playlist for when guests were in the car
So I would seem more normal.

You knew that I was determined to beat Cut the Rope, 
That I had little interest in Angry Birds,
And I liked the Spanish explorer from Temple Run. 
You knew I liked taking pictures of cats. 

You saw all of my texts and all of my emails,
Endured my habit of repeatedly pressing the "hold" button
So your screen would turn on and off,
And made a quacking noise for your ringtone. 

But you were taken from me,
So I wiped your memory
With iCloud
And now you don't remember me.

You were my phone.


**********************************************


RIP Emily's Phone (June 2011-June 2012)

1 comment: