Thursday, March 17, 2011

The four greatest animals

They've come up recently in conversation several times over the past few months, so I thought it was about time that I made an official list of the top four best animals in the world. I would say top five, but I can't think of a fifth one that comes after my first four without having a part a, part b, part c, etc (they would range from snakes to lambs to ducks to baby tigers to giraffes to anything that's cute or awesome or alive). So I'll get right to it.


The fourth animal is, of course, a kitty cat, mostly because of this:

This is the baby kitty that my roommate and I adopted for a while. Her name is Moonbunny. Her current owners gave her another name, but her real name is Moonbunny. Everything she did was absolutely adorable, and when she got on our nerves, she would make up for it using this face:
And then it would all be ok, and she would get more attention than ever. 

Moonbunny loved sleeping. Here are some of the many different ways she liked to fall asleep. It really didn't matter whether or not there were other things going on. She would just fall asleep at random.


So now, if it wasn't official before (which is was), I am definitely a cat person now. I'm going to have a million kitty cats when I grow up! :D But this isn't about me; this is an objective posts. Moonbunny was an objectively cute kitten.


The third best animals are snails. (ok, screw objectivity, this post now officially entirely a subjective entry)
The thing about cats is that they're my favorite animal that I could actually own for a pet and interact with. I suppose I could own snails, but I feel like that's just not as cool as little baby kitty cats. Plus, the snails are probably happier outside. Just as kitty cats make my number one on my "favorite house pet" list, snails make number one on my list of "favorite bugs" list. They really are adorable, and they're so underrated. But, look at this picture:

How is this not perfect? It's so tiny and delicate and slow, and it just seems like it should have died out a while ago. But it's still here! And it still has its beautifully intricate shells and it keeps going. And if you haven't heard the song Snails by The Format, then listen to it, because it's happy. Open up that video in another tab or window, so you can look at cute animal pictures while listening to this song (the video itself isn't great, but it's the only one I've found on youtube that has the version I like). And then go take a very slow walk so you can look at everything around you while you're walking. But finish this blog post first, because we've got two more animals to go.


My second favorite animals are frogs. Frogs are usually green (which is my favorite color) or some other bright color that's equally as awesome. While green is my favorite color, I really do like any bright colors. The thing about frogs is that they are usually smiling, but they are always so delightfully awkward. They hop instead of walk, they swim in bursts, they eat bugs by catching food with their tongue, and while they can't breathe water, they can't live in a dry environment. 

I mean, seriously, did this frog not come straight out of middle school? Look at his face. He's sort of trying to be cool while keeping a nervous eye out for bullies. He probably keeps a secret deck of pokemon cards in his back pocket, and enjoys reading graphic novels in his spare time, and he constantly corrects people when they ask him how he is enjoying his comic books. I kind of want to give him a hug.

You also have the Old Man Grandpa frog that you can go to for advice, but he would probably carry on for a super long time about his stint in the war, or how bread used to cost a nickel when he was your age. 

You have frogs who have been friends forever, and even though they're kind of polar opposites personality-wise, they're two peas in a pod who both enjoy trips to the bookstore and late-night ice cream missions:

And finally, you have your generic cute-animal frog (herro, baby froggy! It's ok! You can come out-- we won't hurt you!):


Froggies....yay. :) (I should mention at this point that it's a scientifically proven fact that human speech becomes less and less intelligent and intelligible as animals get cuter. Just a quick warning before we get to my final animal). *still smiling happily over froggy pics* I would like to add, though, that on a serious note (and I've said this several times before), frogs take over Egypt in the Bible, making it into the Psalms, and they score a guest appearance in Revelations. Beat that, gnats. 

And lastly, my number one favorite animal. Brace yourselves for unbearable amounts of cuteness. Behold: THE KOALA!


D'awww...actually, as cute as this is, this picture is not my favorite things about koalas. There are lots of things I like about koalas. I like that they sleep for twenty three hours out of the day. I like that the way that they move is almost human. I like how fuzzy they are, and how big their ears are and how fat they can get. I like how they all have different faces and facial expressions. But mostly, I like this:

I mean, who wouldn't want to be the baby koala in that picture? It's all cozy in a fuzzy koala blanket and it's fast asleep, not worrying about anything, and the big koala is all wrapped around the baby koala, just as deep into sleep. Baby koalas really seem to like having something to cling onto:


And there's just something about that that makes me feel not just happy, but also peaceful. Yay, the koalas have their little families and stick together and they're always giving each other perpetual hugs! Is there anything better than a perpetual hug from someone who really cares about you?  Well, yes. A perpetual hug from a fuzzy koala. 


:)


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! (Despite the absence of puppies) I like how you worked with your words and the photographs. Where did the terrific photos come from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should check out these two kid's books.

    HOP JUMP by Ellen Stoll Walsh
    THE SNAIL’S SPELL by Joanne Ryder

    I had a friend who kept pet slugs.

    ReplyDelete